6.17.2005

A few little things on the run...

- This afternoon I had to make an unexpected trip to the Nashville Superspeedway in Gladeville, TN, and managed to get myself stuck in the worst traffic I've ever seen, and I've driven in LA and Chicago. There are great advantages to living three exits from work and working a weird schedule. I highly recommend that more Nashville commuters try it.

- Remember the scene in "Pulp Fiction" where Uma Thurman's character orders a $5 shake, John Travolta flipped out over the price and then says it's a damn good shake? Hardee's makes the best damn shakes on the planet now, and they aren't $5 (or, as it would be if that movie were made today, $7.50.)

- One of my best friends in the world, horror author Elizabeth Donald, is a visiting author at HyperiCon this weekend, and she's doing a reading from, amongst other things, her upcoming vampire novel tomorrow afternoon at 1. Elizabeth is a working journalist in Edwardsville, IL but moonlights as a published author, and her work makes for excellent readings. And I know that a lot of Nashville's blogosphere is not into cons, and I'm not even a big sci-fi person (except for my XPhiledom), but I'm really glad Nashville is getting one, because they can bring in some great tax revenue (ask the folks at Dragon*Con in Atlanta, which is enormous) and very nice folks. So if you'd like a little Memphis-spiced vampire fiction with a distinct snarky edge and strong female characters, come by and hear Elizabeth, and stay for the other stuff.

-

No comments: