6.30.2005

My periodic movie rant

Here are the reasons why I still plan to see War of the Worlds, despite all the negative hype.

- I love Steven Spielberg films almost universally. Sure, not all of them are "fine film", but they're all sensational and emotional and pretty fun. Even if the world's population is being exterminated.
- I love movies with aliens. After all, my X-Files obsession started with the movie, which I saw five times in theatres (yes, it's really not that good.) I can get over my fear of horror films for Alien. And I still watch Independence Day every time it shows up on FX. Hey, I'm not saying that I'm watching good movies with aliens, but something about seeing this weird unhuman creature wreaking havoc on humans just because we're not as smart as they are or because they need our stuff is just fun for me.
- I've never been a big Tom Cruise fan, but I did love Minority Report, which seems to be very similar to this one. I thought that was one of his more believable roles, and that says a lot about my opinion of his true talent. (However, his best role ever was in Magnolia, where he really probably just played himself.)
- The Church of Scientology didn't make this film, and it's pretty unfair to blame it for one star's kooky beliefs and behavior. Besides, people are now just going nuts to find out one more thing to make fun of on this guy. Yes, his views on psychiatry are archaic, but the alien thing is just silly. And if we're in the business of boycotting people because of religious beliefs that defy your own brand of logic, there are lots of stones to throw at glass houses. Ever read The Book of Mormon? Some of those core beliefs are pretty darn entertaining for a non-believer. But who's to say that they're wrong? By the same token, let Tom and Katie work on getting "clear" in peace.
- Dakota Fanning is a cutie, and a really good actress. Just hope she doesn't grow up too fast like certain other actresses who had young careers.
- Finally, it's the Fourth of July weekend. What else am I supposed to do but go watch crap blow up onscreen? My only sadness is that Will Smith didn't somehow get a bit part in this.

No comments: