10.03.2005

A Great Day at the Game

Last week a friend of mine unexpectedly gifted me with tickets to the Titans/Colts game. As much as I love the Titans, I had only been to one game previously - a preseason game against the Bills that was notable mostly because it was the game where Frank Wychek suffered the concussion that ended up pretty much ending his career. So going to the game was a big deal for me. Going to THE game of the year against the Colts was icing on the cake. So much that I noticed that the seats were Club Level, but didn't actually notice where the seating was.

So I set out for the game yesterday morning, wondering if the Coliseum was a hot spot so I could borrow a laptop for liveblogging (yes, I really am a sports geek.) I met Big Orange Michael, who was equally pumped about the game, and waited till we were searching for parking to break the news to him. Yes, I am the only Vols fan in the state of Tennessee who dislikes Peyton Manning. Since he is, well, Big Orange Michael, I was afraid that I'd get kicked out of the car posthaste. Luckily, he decided to keep me around. And he only joked once as we were crossing a busy street that if I got hit by a car, he'd at least leave me his headphones so I could listen to the game as I waited for an ambulance, and he'd come by the hospital afterwards. Twerp. ;)

After waiting far too long for what Titans security calls a "pat-down search" and I call a useless inconvinence, we got in and got to our seats literally at kickoff time. That's when I discovered what "Club seats" mean.

1. We were seated in chairs (not stadium seating) on our own level at the 50-yard line, a few rows above the CBS cameras. I could actually stand up without blocking the view of the people above me. I could prop my feet up on a barricade and not come close to touching the hairdo of the woman below. I am certain that I will never, ever again have such great seating for a sporting event, unless I someday sit in Bud Adams' suite. And even then I have my doubts.
2. The concession stands for the level were in an air-conditioned "lounge" with a "Stress-Free Zone".
3. They served REAL beer. No Bud for me! Amstel Light on tap!
4. They had bartenders. The one who served me was a fellow Red Cross volunteer, so I got the best double margarita of my life. Michael didn't drink, but I managed not to get drunk enough to be annoying. Be thankful, Michael.

So Michael and I sat in the lap of luxury, pretending to be rich and pretending that the game didn't suck. And suck it did. The highlights:
- The Colts have exceptionally dirty defense. I know that the losing team always says something like that, but trust me - it's true. They kicked Drew Bennett on the ground after the play had ended. They fake-called McNair's voice to create false starts. They just sucked. And I'm fairly certain that the refs left their penalty flags on the sidelines when the Colts were on offense, because they just sucked.
- Nice to see that the Colts do have an offense. Just wish they'd waited a week to show the world. Thank you, Reggie Wayne, for finally justifying my fantasy pick.
- I am contemplating buying Drew Bennett a lifetime supply of Super Glue. Is it in his contract that he only catches passes when Volek plays?
- Boy, it was cool to see Travis Henry play twice - first with the Bills and now the Titans. Oh, wait...
- Is it me, or does my idea about dropping Pacman and picking up Eddie George sounding better and better? Other than a couple of good runs as the kickoff returner, Pacman was pretty much a big ol' dud. And thanks for the taunting call, pal. Nevermind that the Colts had been doing plenty of that on the other side of the ball....
- However, Jarrett Payton did a very nice job as a fill-in RB. Please keep him on the roster when Henry comes back, Titans. I think he has a promising future.
- The one nice thing - I was very glad to see that Steve McNair has finally learned how to slide instead of falling forward. Only took 10 years to learn, right? And he still was the star of the Titans offense, which is having some problems getting going under Chow. McNair proved that he still has legs, and at least the offensive line managed to give him some room to work with.

Despite the game, we had a great time. Michael is cool enough to not think I'm wacko when I do my form of Football Aerobics (jump up and yell and do stuff that's just not cool in a sports bar.) We got a kick outta feeling like rich folk for a day. And unlike 1/3 of the crowd, we actually stayed until the end (why bother paying for tickets if you don't stick around, guys? Talk about disrespect.) And I managed to refrain from going to buy ice to pelt the Colts fans sitting below (at least they were cool enough to not all be wearing Manning jerseys - the sign of a true fan is to actually spread the love around.) All in all, it was a success.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's at least 3 mid-TN bloggers at the game yesterday. How many more were there?

Anyway, I didn't stick around because I felt after opting for a field goal attempt at the end of 3rd the coaching staff had conceeded the game. That and my 5 year old had been asking me for a half an hour "Is it time to go yet?" It was pretty toasty up in the cheap seats, so I can't say I blame him.

Michael Hickerson said...

It was a good game....I completely forgot about the part of leaving you for dead to go to the game..and hey, I did say I'd come visit in the hosptial after the game was over. I mean, I deserve some iota of credit there!

ariedana said...

Casey, with a kid at the game with you, I'm sure it was a struggle to make it to halftime. I understand your reasoning. It's all the folks who pay big, big money for the PSLs in the good sections that throw up their hands and leave at halftime or right afterward. To me, it's kind of like going to your kid's piano recital. When half of the notes are wrong and you can't even recognize the songs, you don't leave halfway through. If they hadn't practiced enough before, you might point out that error afterward. But you stay at your kid's recital because you support them. The Titans are Nashville's kid. We have to stick in there even when they do badly.

Michael, I did give you credit! There are much worse things to be called than "twerp". ;)

Anonymous said...

...just curious,what do you have against Peyton? the fact that he is a solid player, a good dude, works his tail off and makes your titans look silly? How can you not respect and like this guy? Oh and the kicking them when they are down? Brad Hopkins is one of the dirtiest players in the game, give and take people

ariedana said...

My honest opinion is that Peyton is a great player, but benefits from a stellar offensive line more than the press gives them credit for. He also has a propensity to choke for the big games. Ask any Pats or Florida fan around.

I have no doubt that Peyton's essentially a good guy, and I know people who have drank with him in Lower Broad and say he's a class act. But I also think he's overly arrogant and threw his weight around to get rid of a great coach just because he dared to be critical of him. A certain amount of arrogance is needed to be a top QB. But if I had to pick between him and Tom Brady, I would pick Brady just because Brady will be the first to tell you if he has some blame for a loss. I don't see that quality in Peyton. Sorry.

We don't all have to adore the same guys, and I personally have never seen Hopkins kicking a guy when they're down, which is more than I could say for a couple of Colts yesterday.