1.07.2006

Some Must-See TV, Along With Must-Snooze

Since NBC rolled out their revamped comedy schedule this week, I felt compelled to check it out. Except for "Scrubs", which is now scheduled against "House" and will now be relegated to a future Netflix queue.

(Note: Spoilers there be in these parts. Stop reading if you're waiting to watch these, particularly "The Book of Daniel", which is apparently reairing on Sunday.)

Thursday
Will & Grace: Could someone please tell me why this show is still on? I feel very certain that watching The Weather Channel for 30 minutes would generate more laughs. It's just painful. The only thing that I found entertaining about this show was finding out that Debra Messing apparently can sing. And she also looks really stupid in a "Sound of Music" costume.

Four Kings: This was a very pleasant surprise, because I fully expected this show to suck, as most shows that are hyped as the ______ version of "Sex and the City" usually do (BTW, the true male version of SATC is called "Manchild", and it regularly reairs on BBC America, so don't bother trying this again, networks.) It has a few typical startup flaws. The flashbacks for the guys to childhood are understandable, but shouldn't be relied upon. Seth Green's character could use a little more likeability and a little less whininess (although his reaction to another character's girlfriend's ultimatium was really cool, and kinda redeemed himself.) But overall, the tone was good and realistic. The guys acted like, well, guys, and it reminded me why I prefer hanging out with men (and whatever that dish was that one of them cooked at the end, I want the recipe.) The girls didn't come off so hot, but it was also true to life. In any case, this show earned a TiVo Season Pass.

My Name Is Earl: I can't slurp on this show much more than I have in the past. It continues to be excellent. One suggestion, NBC - have a weekend marathon of the first half of the season, or at least reair the pilot one night. I have a feeling that people may have seen this show for the first time this week, and have no clue what the premise is.

The Office: I really have no clue why I hate this show so much. Maybe it just boils down to preferring Ricky Gervalis any day of the week over Steve Carrell. Maybe it's the "Coupling" syndrome, where they recreate plotlines from the UK version and they just don't hit it as well. Maybe it's because the boss is so much like past management I've worked with that it's too close to home, whereas David Brent was just a funny character. In any case, I give up. Even Rainn Wilson can't help.

Friday
The Book of Daniel: This was an amazingly entertaining, provocative show. I've heard enough about the Episcopalian Church from close friends that I'm fairly sure it's somewhat accurate on how things work, although I'm not so sure that a priest whose family is so scandalous would ever manage to hang onto his parish. But Daniel is the kind of guy who would convince me join the Church, so any Episcopals who are upset with the storyline need to keep that in mind. And I really don't understand why people are so upset about Jesus' role in this. I'll admit that I'm a liberal Christian, but he seemed to be written just like I would think he would be if he did show up today on earth. I've pretty much read every part of the Bible that tells his story, and nothing seemed to go against canon for me. So I'm to assume that the protesters think that Jesus wouldn't talk to a guy who has a gay son, a drug-dealing daughter and has a bit of a pill-popping problem himself? Does anyone remember that Jesus was friends with Barnabas, and Mary Magdalene, and all sorts of folks who didn't have the most pristine backgrounds?

Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members
of my family, you did it to me.' Matthew 25:35, 37, 40


Get over yourselves, people.

Anyway, as a bonus, I'll remind everyone that "House" is now airing on Friday nights at 11 EST on the USA Network. If you're not a junkie like me and have the DVD set, here's a good way to watch Season 1 and get hooked. This show deserved a lot more Golden Globe and Emmy nominations than it got.

1 comment:

Michael Hickerson said...

::cough::cough::Battlestar Galactica::cough::cough:::