2.25.2007

Oscar Love

I can't really say so much about the actual awards, since I have seen a grand total of ONE Oscar-nominated film (thanks, Al!) If I hadn't dropped outta film school and gone into TV news, I would be losing my AFI membership or something. But I can snark about the real show, which is all about the dresses, the speeches, and Ellen.

- Ellen, Ellen, Ellen. I expected nothing less from you than the hottest Armani tux in the building. Red? Velvet? Red velvet?!? You redeemed yourself with the hot white number, but barely.
- Let it be known that I'm normally a big Ellen fan. Seen every ep of "Ellen", and have been known to turn on her show just to see her dance. If I swung that way, she'd be in my Top 5. But I'm not entirely sure that the "I'm a fan!" approach in hosting is my fav. However, after seeing Jerry Seinfeld (whom I normally hate in everything he touches) on stage, I'd really like to see him do it. The endless in-jokes would get tiresome, and we might be inflicted with more Michael Richards groveling, but it might work.
- Tonight will be known as the Night Al Gore Didn't Run For President. Which is a shame. I hope his warm reception will make him rethink that, and I hope that a few million people are inspired by his message and will buy/rent/download his movie. http://www.climatecrisis.org. Do yourself a favor and read it.
- I liked seeing J-Hud win. It's fun to see the newbie blow everyone outta the water. And I even liked to hear her thanking Jesus for her win. If you believe that some greater force has helped you get where you are, it's only fair to thank them. This is why I don't win many awards (other than, um, not being nominated for them often.) As a Unitarian Universalist, there are way too many entities to thank.
- Is it just me, or is the K-Fed commercial much better now, post-BaldBritney?
- Great dresses: Helen Mirren, Penelope Cruz, Rachel Weitz, Reese Witherspoon (Ryan, what were you thinking, man?), Maggie Ghyllenhaal, Kate Winslet. Not so much: Kirsten Dunst (lose the ugly collar), Cameron Diaz (we get it -- you went to Hawaii and got a tan), Anne Hathaway (normally, she looks brilliant, but that bow..) Jury's still out: Gwyneth Paltrow, Nicole Kidman. Best of all: Diane Keaton. Yowsah!
- Salma Hayek Honorary Award for Best Cleavage: Tammy Lynn Etheridge, wife of Melissa Etheridge. Breast-feeding twins works wonders. Runner up: Helen Mirren. Very Honorary Mention: Jennifer Hudson. Yes, I'm straight.
- Was I the only one who spent all the time that Beyonce was onstage worried that a dancer would trip on her train?
- Speaking of dancers, the whole Cirque du Soile-behind-the-curtain thing got old after Ellen's hand-puppet show.
- Why does Jack Nicholson look like either a bouncer or an aging pro wrestler?
- Glad to see Scorsese win one. Long overdue. He IS Hollywood. Same for Forrest Whitaker. Really, so far there have been no great disappointments.
- I really need to see "The Queen". I can't believe I haven't.
- I didn't know that Helen Mirren was a Dame until BBC's Breaking News alert told me. And I consider myself English in any way?!?
- Damn, Best Picture AND Director. Very nice. Old Hollywood will party tonight. Is there enough coke in California for this?
- Y'know, I'm beginning to like Leo DiCaprio. My whole soul weeps for me.
- One last thing -- for the folks out there doing Oscar.com...if you heavily promote a feature like the Thank You Cam, please make sure that it can handle the traffic. It's the little things that make the difference between an enjoyable site visit and an annoying one.

2 comments:

Emmie said...

I very happy for Helen Mirren!Would love to watch Painted Lady once more tonight!!Emmie

gwen said...

Hi!

My name is Gwen, and I'm the webmaster of http://www.pinhole-glasses-direct.com. I wanted to know if by any chance you would be interested in doing an unbiased review of our product on your site/blog http://ariedana.blogspot.com/.

If you agree we will send you a product sample so that you can try it and then write a review about it. Please note you won't have to return the product sample after publishing the review.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you.

Gwen
spicyish@gmail.com

PS. So sorry for the way I have contacted you; I can't seem to find any other option... Thanks.