2.20.2005

My Sunday Dinner Pick - Hot Diggity Dog

I think that one thing I'm going to do as a regular feature is feature a favorite dining spot of mine, usually in the Nashville area. It's not usually the trendiest and fanciest stuff, since I'm po' (although I will happily accept dinner invitations to hot spots like The Boundr'y so that I can consider them for future Sunday Dinner Picks) and it's often stuff that I can run out and get for lunch and eat at my desk. I'm also big on ethnic foods, so it will definitely have that slant.

This week's pick is a very new find, and maybe slightly trendy, since Kay West named it as one of the best places to eat in Nashville just two weeks ago in the Scene. However, it's just too good not to rave about. I became a fan of good hot dogs about 10 years ago in North Carolina, when I discovered a joint in town that served Nathan's Own and knew how to cook them. Since then, with the exception of a pub or two, I've rarely found anything similar. Until now.

Hot Diggity Dog serves their dawgs either "char" or steamed, and the char is as good as anything you'd have on a Sunday cookout. They also know how to make a proper Chicago Dog (not my thing, but I know there have to be some transplanted Midwesterners in town that are now screaming in delight.) Even better, they make hand-cut fries and serve them in paper sacks, just like proper crisps should be. They also serve a couple of types of sausages (note: add brats soon, please) and an Italian beef sandwich that's supposed to be great.

The best thing about Hot Diggity Dogs is the value. I got a coworker and I lunch for $6. The only thing that's the least bit dicey about the place is the location (Ewing Street, two blocks from the Union Rescue Mission) but the building itself is charming, and during the daytime it shouldn't be an issue. And it's right down the street from my job! So I can go get my kraut dawg and pretend I'm in New Yawk for a few moments, at least.

No comments: