5.24.2005

If I had a magic wand, this would definitely happen...

"9 to 5 II" (or however you'd title it...since they'd probably be retirees, maybe "11-8"?) : When I was 5ish, that song was my very favorite thing in the world. My mom was a Home-Ec teacher, and I'd wander the halls of her school singing it over and over to poor defenseless students. Then my clueless parents let me watch the movie when it came out on TV, which I guess was okay, since most of it went over my head anyway (I just thought that the women really, really enjoyed cigarettes, and I didn't really get the sexual harassment stuff.) It was a really cool movie, and pretty revolutionary for its time, I think, since the women actually took charge and took names. Now that it's been 20 years or so and that glass ceiling's supposedly been busted and we've got this new era of political correctness in place, this could be a good place to see if things really have changed for the better, or if we're just shoving things into the closet.

This would definitely not happen...

Live Aid II: Bono and Sir Bob Geldorf had supposedly squelched this rumor yesterday, saying that the situation in Africa is too grave for one concert to make a difference, and that it would minimize the situation. I agree. What is needed for African relief is a worldwide concerted effort along the lines of the tsunami relief effort, not just one concert. However, my primary, selfish reason that I don't want LAII is because it would most likely suck compared to the first. Anyone remember who was on last Christmas' "Don't They Know It's Christmas?" Neither do I. (Except for Bono, who I would gladly listen to singing "Do Re Mi" all afternoon long.) And why does it have to be the same thing? Live Aid was in the 80s. The 90s was Lollapollooza and all its imitators. Is this all that the 2000s going to be - rehashes? We've already had a Woodstock that turned into a riot. Let's not take a chance on ruining another great memory and actually figure out how to do something original for a change.
(Note to self: Buy DVD of original LA.)

No comments: