6.01.2005

CNN on its Silver Anniversary

Courtesy of What's Happening at CNN, a QuickTime clip of the intro to the first CNN newscast on June 1st, 1980. And for later, the first three hours of airtime, plus video tours and stuff. *sniffs, sobs a little at my desk*

I'll admit it - I'm a CNN junkie of the worst kind. It's my mom's fault. Growing up in the middle of the country, our antenna only picked up four channels - the three networks and, for some weird reason after about 1983 or so, CNN Headline News from the cable company's dish nearby. Then when we got a satellite dish, we had both Headline News and the regular channel. After Mom decided that soap operas weren't fit viewing for a child, she would leave the TV on CNN all day unless network or local news was on (I grew up idolizing Dan Miller from WSMV, pre-Pat Sajak, bunny-suit days.) So while all the other kids watched cartoons, I watched Bernard Shaw.

I never saw myself working in broadcast news. That sort of thing really wasn't seen as a viable career option for a little girl with a lisp in rural Tennessee in the mid-70s. But all the interest in news and current events got me into politics, which did eventually get me into J-school, and then a long, long, time later, into an RT program. It wasn't so long ago that I was the one running a camera in the River Region campus newscast, and getting a thrill because I was there. And no matter how jaded or hardened I become, this is still a really cool place to be.

CNN's changed a lot over the time I've watched. This morning they were asking people to write in with the story that affected them the most, and I can't even put a finger on just one, because CNN was so much a part of everything. If there was a crystalizing moment, it was the night that the U.S. planes started bombing Baghdad during the first Gulf War and my mom changed the channel and I heard the three reporters hiding out in their hotel room, trying to tell the story and not get caught by the Iraqi authorities. That was the story that made me want to be there (yes, I'm nuts.) But then there's been elections and impeachments, earthquakes and hurricanes, huge fires and small babies and famines and fury galore. I saw the video of the Twin Towers fall and the Pentagon smoking with my mouth agape. And through anchors and reporters that came and went, I always felt the CNN connection in Atlanta (and yes, I've visited almost every time I've gone there) and that's always made it more like home.

I can't say that I'm entirely happy with the way that CNN is now. But I'm so glad to see how it's evolved from the husband-wife team with bad hair to the polished product that it is now. It's revolutionized the industry, and it changed the course of my life. And for that, I give thanks.

No comments: