7.15.2005

If you're not already sick of these two topics...

This is a hilarious sendup of the Karl Rove controversy, as well as the Harry Potter hype. And no, the spoilers aren't real. At least, I hope so.

Honestly, it amazes me how unspoiled Harry Potter has stayed, book after book. I know that bookstores have a lot to lose by leaking copies (i.e. getting to sell the next sequel and monetary fines) but now that there's only one book left, the power of that threat is diminishing. Plus there are a ton of people who have nothing to lose by sneaking in, popping a box, reading the last two chapters and then creating an anonymous blog to leak the goodies (note: I would never personally do that, so if this actually happens, don't look at me.) And if there's one thing that I've learned about online fandoms is that nothing is unspoiled. Back in my extreme X-Phile days, I knew what was happening in every episode at least three months ahead of time, usually six. And it's that way with every album, every TV show and movie and even every breaking news event, if you think about it (unless it's a truly breaking event, there's always some prelim activity that can tip you off beforehand.)

Yes, I will be buying the book at midnight, just as I have for the last four books. Right now I'm hatching my plan, because it's not as easy to do that in a big city as you'd think. Back when I lived in Carbondale, IL, I drove to the local B&N at 10:30, saw the line snaking around the building, turned around and ended up first in line at Wal-Mart. Easy as pie. Tonight I actually would like to go to the B&N that's closest to my apartment (Shopry Mills) but they're expecting over 200 people by 8 pm and several media trucks. Sorry, but I spend enough time around news trucks during the day. So I'm considering my options. Media Play at Hickory Hollow? Borders on West End? (EDIT: They're expecting 800+, so no way.) Or the boring way out and Wal-Mart? I bet there won't be a horribly long line in Bucksnort.

In any case, I don't think anyone will have any trouble finding me tomorrow. Between this and A Very Long Engagement's release earlier this week, I have an excuse to be a couch potato. Although it would be cool if anyone would like to go out Sunday. No reason....

1 comment:

Michael Hickerson said...

Maybe I'm just becoming old and stodgy, but I didn't see the point of buying the new book right at 12:01 with the crowds...I mean, I wandered out Saturday morning, found it and bought it. I was tempted to go out and see the crowds at the parties, but then the season premiere of BSG corrupted me into staying home.

It's similiar to those big event movies like Star Wars...OK, so it starts at 12:01...but it's still two and a half hours of movie to watch. And alas, my employers still expect me to show up the next day and be productive (curse them!) I can see wanting to be part of the crowd and how being in a group of people who love this as much as you do might be fun, I guess I haven't get given into that deep, dark ugly side of my inner geeky fan-boy. (Now, if it were a Dr Who movie...hell, I'd be there).

And a fellow X-Phile...I have to admit the final two years kind of soured me on the whole thing, but watching my DVDs of season two this summer, I am reminded of just why I loved this show so much. And I went SPOILER free. Though CC was never the master take advanage of the Internet SPOILER person that Joss Whedon is.....Joss is so good at leaking out false info to throw you completely off track of what is coming next (at least when his shows were on) and then really pulling a whammy on you....