11.07.2005

A Lot of Football and a Little Reminiscing

- Good thing about falling asleep with the TV on - You're woken up automatically with a Comcast emergency tone when there's a tornado warning in your area.
Bad thing about falling asleep with the TV on - After you're woken up, you get to turn the channel and get the hell scared outta you by Lisa Patton's weather coverage. Then after it's over, you turn the channel to CNN and start watching the coverage of the Indiana tornadoes and end up dreaming about tornadoes. At least now I have a decent idea of what to do if a tornado hits my church while I'm teaching Sunday School.

I've always had a big fear of tornadoes, growing up in Lawrence County, TN, where severe weather goes to roost. The strongest and most violent tornado to ever be recorded in the state of Tennessee was there in 1998, the same day that the tornadoes hit Downtown Nashville, so no one outside of that area even noticed. Practically everytime there's a thunderstorm in Middle Tennessee, Lawrence County is one of the first to get warnings. A signifigant portion of my childhood was spent in my parents' house's basement, where I was reminded that almost all of my family lives within a 5-mile radius and none of them have storm shelters. Both sets of grandparents, my great-grandfather, and a whole passel of aunts, uncles and cousins would show up. The old folks would be ensconed on the couch, and my dad and my uncles would go outside and look for the funnel cloud. As you can tell, they had a noted lack of concern about their own welfare. After 1998, when my uncle saw the F-5 cross the highway in front of him and then a basement collapsed on one of my mom's teacher colleagues, the hanging out and watching for funnels wasn't quite so informal.

What happened in Indiana pretty much encompassed my biggest childhood fear - a tornado swooping down in the middle of the night and blowing me away. I can't even imagine the sheer hell those folks went through and continue to go through. I'm sending out my love to them.

- I have been asked by a fan of my blog (I didn't know that I had any!) to readdress the subject of Pacman Jones. He's of the belief that players shouldn't be allowed to have a nickname unless you earn it. I do believe he's earned a nickname - the title of "Punkman" that Joe Fisher gave him after his arrest this summer. Moreover, I bet that idea that I had of cutting him and signing Eddie George for the season is sounding pretty damn good to a lot of folks right now. You can say a lot about Eddie's decline in yardage, but he has yet to run into any drug problems. Moreover, with the money saved on Jones' contract and Travis Henry, the Titans might have been able to cobble up enough money for a halfway decent non-rookie cornerback on the free-agent market.

The main thing that the Titans have to realize is that they are doing a really crappy job of finding quality talent in their first-round draft picks. The last truly successful first-rounder we've had was Jevon Kearse (Chris Brown doesn't count, since he has yet to stay healthy longer than half a year.) I'm hopeful that Norm Chow will stick around long enough to bring in a quality replacement for McNair in next year's draft, but we've gotta figure out a way to reduce our cap room enough to sign some vets instead of asking rookies to carry the load every year.

- I think the most karmically classic thing that could ever happen to Terrell Owens is for him to be put on the waiver wire and end up playing for the Texans. Then he can see what playing for a truly crappy team is like.

- So Pete Rose Jr. started selling G to his teammates in Chattanooga so they could "unwind" after games. Isn't that the reason that his dad gave for his gambling addiction?

- Titans are 2-7, Vols are 3-5, and the Preds are in the midst of a losing streak. At least my soccer side is winning.

- Is anyone in the U.S. who's not a news freak paying any attention to the fact that over 200 towns in a major European power are embroiled in racial rioting? Thought so.

- I have a feeling that a lot more criminals would be caught if police hung out at liquor stores more.

No comments: