8.07.2005

Good night, Peter

Peter Jennings lost his battle with lung cancer tonight. It apparently wasn't a shock to his colleagues, but it was to me. When I saw his last broadcast around six months ago, when his voice was hoarse and weak but he was in consumate anchor form, I never thought that would be the end for him. I fully expected for him to be back in that anchor chair again,

Goodbye, Peter. Many of us will never forget what we've learned from you. You were truly one of the people in news that was an example of class, of humility, and for putting the value of truth above all else.

(And on a related-yet-unrelated note, finding this out right after watching Nate's funeral on SFU sucked. There's also been a lot of loss this week elsewhere within my family. Today at church, after lighting a candle for a little girl who died way too soon, I found a poem inside of the "Singing the Living Tradition" hymnal by e.e. cummings. I'm fairly sure this is the correct one. )

i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
wich is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

6 comments:

Michael Hickerson said...

I was saddened to hear of Peter Jenning's passing as well. I love the poem. Thanks for sharing it.

You know, in the day and age when we hear so much about Dan Rather and does he have a bias, I can't really recall hearing any such comments about Jennings. Instead, when I think about him, I think of a man who brought dignity, grace and intelligence to his job.

ariedana said...

From what I've been told, the only political opinion that he publically stated was his support of national health care coverage. He strongly believed that the U.S. should have a system similar to Canada's. Considering Tennessee's latest TennCare struggles, I wonder what his thoughts would've been on that.

Glad you liked the poem. I was afraid that I might've been overdoing it a little. :P

Michael Hickerson said...

Dana,

First of all, if you want to overdo it, it's your blog and you can do what you want! (Why is it I hear Cartman saying, "I do what I want!" in the back of my head as I type that?)

Second of all, listening to Jennings, I always felt like you were listening to your grandfather....at least mine. He'd tell you these stories but yet you always sort of knew it was gonna be OK....he had a warmth to him that a lot of the talking heads lack.

ariedana said...

Being in news so long, I've kind of got "Writing for my audience" burned into my brain. Plus the internet is such a snipey place, and I get mental images of people going out into the blogosphere and saying, "What is she doing, posting weepy poetry about a celebrity she doesn't know?" Not to mention being sad about a show character's funeral. As I've heard more than once today, it's just a show, but I guess I'm just ______ enough to care a lot about people in general, and if that sometimes gets displaced into a fictional character, so be it.

In any case, I'm trying to learn not to overanalyze and say what I want and feel here. And that there are people who think that's cool. So thanks for that reminder. :)

As far as Jennings, he just seemed like the ultimate roving journalist. Maybe Frank Fontana on "Murphy Brown" without the neurosis. He went for the story, no matter where it took him, and told it with heart and grace. That's a rare talent.

Michael Hickerson said...

I can understand the writing for your audience thing. Having once been a journalistic person myself, I understand that.

And there are times in a blog when it's good to just write what comes to you....I do that sometimes as well. :)

ariedana said...

Cool! I didn't know you had that background.

I try to write for myself sometimes, but it's hard. I used to have an anonymous blog for that - not to bitch about specific people, but to just feel like a nameless person. I kind of miss that.

Sorry if I was a bit ranty in my previous comment. I had a nerve touched elsewhere (not by you, Mike, if you're reading this) and vented where I could.